Five Tips for a Good First Look
Let’s talk about that big reveal. The very first time your soon-to-be husband see’s you in your wedding dress. It’s exciting, maybe a little nerve racking, and can even be emotional. It’s a beautiful moment, and one I always recommend capturing on camera.
Here’s some tips for helping your first look go smoothly:
- Don’t let him see any pictures of your dress before the big reveal! I know, this might seem like an obvious one, but trust me some guys get curious and might go snooping. Make sure you have any photos hidden on your phone somewhere he won’t stumble upon them, because you don’t want to ruin the surprise!
- Arrive separately! If you have to drive together you can bring your dress and change into it once you arrive, but I always recommend taking two separate cars if possible. Brides, have your MOH or mom come with you if you want! I always have the groom come on time, and tell the bride to show up 5 minutes late. I’ll get the groom in position, snap a couple photos of him in anticipation, and then come find you.
- Be prepared for a little suspense. I draw the moment out, getting photos from every angle. Not only does it allow for great pictures, but it makes it even more exciting when the groom finally turns around. Keep in mind, if you have a videographer coming as well they’ll probably make you repeat the first look a couple times to get all the shots they need for the video.
- Grooms, don’t feel pressure. Every groom reacts differently to seeing his bride, just be YOU. It can be intimidating when the camera’s are rolling and all eyes are on you to give a good reaction, but try to imagine it’s just you and your bride and nobody else is around. Turn around, take it all in, think about how you get to spend the rest of your life with this girl, then bring her in for a hug and kiss. That’s all you have to do.
- Enjoy the moment. Like I said, forget about the cameras. Forget about the stress of planning a wedding, forget about everything else. Soak in this moment with each other and enjoy it. You’re getting MARRIED!
First looks are always one of my very favorite things to photograph, and they always end up being some of my clients favorite photos as well. If you haven’t thought much about it, I highly recommend considering a first look either on your wedding day or at the bridal session beforehand. You won’t regret it!
Meet the Blogger.
Thanks for stopping by!
I'm Alexis. Photographer, World Traveler, Wife, Twin Mom, and lover-of-all-things-pumpkin.
Here you'll find the sessions I've done, advice for photographers and future clients, and the occasional personal post starring my favorites humans.
I like to keep it real, if you dig that then I'll probably dig you.